What is Growth Hormone Deficiency?
Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD) is a rare condition that is caused by the pituitary gland not producing enough somatotropin. This is the hormone that stimulates growth and cell reproduction within the body. Growth and cell reproduction are necessary for healthy muscles, tissues and bones.
What are the symptoms of Growth Hormone Deficiency?
Growth Hormone Deficiency mainly impacts children. However, the symptoms from childhood can continue into adulthood.
Childhood symptoms include:
- Short Stature
- Low growth velocity for age and pubertal stage- below the 3rd percentile
- Increased amount of fat around the waist
- Younger appearance than other children around the same age
Adult symptoms may include:
- Continued GHD from childhood
- Anxiety or depression
- Decreased muscle mass
What causes Growth Hormone Deficiency?
There are three types of Growth Hormone Deficiency:
- Congenital GHD -- Children are born with it, however it is not a genetic defect. It is caused by damage to the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus.
- Acquired GHD -- Developed after birth. Various health-related issues may cause growth hormone deficiency, including:
- Hormonal problems related to the hypothalamus or pituitary gland
- Poor blood supply to the pituitary gland
- Severe head injury, brain tumor, infection or surgery
- Radiation treatments to the brain
- Idiopathic GHD -- Has no diagnosable cause
Children with GHD can often appear smaller, or less mature than other children the same age.
Approximately 1 in 7,000 children are diagnosed with GHD at birth.
How is Growth Hormone Deficiency treated?
Growth hormone replacement therapy is used to treat growth hormone deficiency. Somatropin is a man-made hormone that is like somatotropin. Somatotropin the hormone produced naturally within the body.
How does Noble help me manage my Growth Hormone Deficiency?
At Noble Health Services, we offer a variety of medications to help you treat your condition. We help you manage your condition through our Signature Care Program. Our program includes medication delivery, 24/7/365 on-call support, co-pay assistance and more.
For more information on what Growth Hormone Deficiency medications we offer, please view the Growth Hormone Deficiency enrollment form.